Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hong Kong Street Food

This is a compilation of the street food I had in Hong Kong. Usually, most of these can be obtained from the same stall, which is around nearly every corner around the city area, which all nearly sells the same thing. However, there are variations.

This is ‘siew mai’. Not the kind you get in yumcha/dimsum places, but the street food kind. Apparently its made from fish (not pork). They dip it into soy sauce before giving you the skewer. It was very tasty, but I was not impressed (don’t like processed fish meat).

A skewer of ‘ngau zhap’, which basically means ‘a mix and match of pork stuff’. I got this during my first week in Hong Kong, and I think this was during one of my first adventures looking for food alone in the busy city of Hong Kong. Was very pleased with myself.

This is basically flour batter (like waffles). Translated into baby chicken eggs. You eat it just as it is. No toppings. Tasty, yet, plain. Not my kind of thing. Fills you up but leaves you unsatisfied. Still, very popular in HK though.

The above 3 items you can find at any random street stall that sells these kinds of things. An example of variations that I mentioned would be here, where they only sell the innards, but don’t sell gai dan zhai and other stuff.

Another variation would be at this other stall in Jordan.

The popular dish at this stall seems to be the chee cheong fun. Its basically the same thing as this, except without the filling (although, in that picture, the quality of that dish is way above the average version of that same dish elsewhere). This version of the dish is eaten with peanut sauce, sweet sauce, and soy sauce, with a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top. In KL, we have a very similar version as well, except in KL they don’t give the peanut sauce and the soy sauce. This was very good (I came back later at 9.30pm and they were sold out on this). I normally don’t (never) order this in KL, but being in HK, this was very very satisfying and yummy.

The chee cheong fun above can be eaten alone, or with accompaniments such as deep fried tofu, brinjal (aka eggplant and aubergine) , and other things as well. Supposedly, the deep fried vegetables should be stuffed with processed fish (what we call Yong Tau Fu in KL), but this shop sells it as it is (without the fish). It was still very good though.

They also had deep fried dumplings.

I came back the next day looking for more chee cheong fun, but they were sold out as well. I then left HK the day after that. If there is one regret that I had in HK, it’s that I didn’t get my second serving of chee cheong fun.

No comments: