Friday, December 1, 2006

Too much time on my hands

I wonder how long I can keep this up with random postings. Its been 3 days plus 1 already, and its still active.

So its the holidays and I've too much time on my hands. I've been surfing the net much more than I would have done normally, and I found out that Taylor's College (where I did my GCE 'A' Levels) recently staged The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie. Now that I've left Taylor's for about 2 years already, this shouldn't mean anything to me whatsoever, but coincidentally, I attended the same play by The Chinese Theater Group of Melbourne University recently as well.

Now I don't understand any chinese, and the play that I watched was in chinese but I still went because of 3 reasons. The reasons are (not necessarily in any order of importance):
1) My friend was the producer (or was it co-producer?) of the play
2) I'm a fan of Agatha Christie
3) They had English subtitles

I now want to say that the guy who was controlling the screen
projecting the subtitles could and should have done wayyyyy better. Those of us who didn't understand chinese had no idea what was being said during quite a few moments in the play because he did not change the subtitles fast enough.

That being said, it was a great play nevertheless, although I was a bit disappointed with their ending
as I felt it had a lot of loose ends unexplained and did not quite capture the essence and lacked the power of an Agatha Christie 'explanation', if you know what I mean.

I would have loved to have attended the play by Taylor's College, not because I didn't like the one that I watched, no, but I really would have appreciated the opportunitiy to see an interpretation of the play by fellow Malaysian students. There are some of the pictures of the Taylor's College play available here and although I do not know very much about taking photographs, and I do not know this guy, I must say that his pictures are awesome. A picture is worth a thousand words. How I would have loved to be there.

I don't really have any pictures of the Melbourne Uni play except for this crap one taken by yours truly....















...but this is a wallpaper taken from the Chinese Theater Group Website:










<--------Click to enlarge



And finally, (and I just can't seem to resist doing this), food! This I just had for lunch:









Sarawak Mee, from a foodcourt somewhere in Taman Desa.

No comments: