Thursday, March 8, 2007

Finally, I've got the final pictures required for this post.

For someone who likes food as much as I do, I can get quite picky sometimes. What I'm looking for is food in large quantities, with a significant amount of meat. Heh. I'm looking for something that's worth what I pay for, so I don't mind paying slightly more if I get more and better quality food. ;p

So, when it comes to eating in Melbourne, for me, there are only 4 'must-eat' places. Maybe 5, since I've recently discovered a new one, but that's a story for another time.

These are the places I frequent when I dislike the food being served in Ormond, when I want to celebrate someone's birthday, or just for an eat-out sessions with my friends.

Here goes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Norsiah's Kitchen. On Swanston Street near the university. A place for good and cheap Malay food. This place isn't suitable for any celebrations or events though.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Simple Malay fare. Only $6.50 for 2 meats and 1 vege dish. Very very cheap comparably.

Next up.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Don.ya Mon.ya. Located up Bourke Street. Was introduced to this place by my friends about a year back, and have been hooked ever since. Been here about 7 times, maybe more, and I've only ever eaten one dish, the same over and over again:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This place serves the BEST Unagi Don I have EVER eaten. Best because it gives the most eel compared to any other Unagi Don in Melbourne in a relatively comparable restaurant.

Its $22.00 (that's actually quite expensive for a normal meal) for the set which comes with the bowl of Unagi Don, 3 slices of Beef Tataki (raw beef) in a salad, one dimsum-like thingy, some pickled vegetables, 3 pieces of Takoyaki (octopus balls), and a square slab of tofu. Its $12.00 for the Unagi Don by itself, and about $8.00 (that's the normal price for an average meal in Melbourne) for non-Unagi dishes (because eel is more expensive).

I've posted the next 2 pictures before, but if you haven't seen it before, here it is, and this time, I didn't bother to erase my friend's face from the picture. Serves him right for getting in my way. ;p

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Blue Sky in Chinatown. Good place for people who likes plenty of rice and plenty of meat. Plenty of dishes worth eating here, but I've only got the picture for one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
$8.90. Average price.

Finally, the last one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Located on Lygon Street, this Vietnamese restaurant serves your usual Vietnamese fare of Beef Noodle Soup. But when I do go to this place, there're only 2 dishes that I will eat, both involving grilled chicken, and neither of them the Beef Noodle Soup.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Vermicelli is some meehoon-like noodles, but apparently its not exactly meehoon. You can't see it in the picture, its covered up. $10.90.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This is the rice version of the same dish. Its $12.90 because the white rice is substituted with red rice (tomato rice I suppose).

Slightly more expensive than your average fare, but because its located on Lygon Street, its more expensive.

I'm glad to say, that having come back here for 5 weeks already, I've already been to each of the restaurants above, and one of them twice. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya, I came,I read, I left a comment, and I feel hungry no thanks to your photo pics. Satisfied? No more 0 comments anymore. You must treat me Unagi don when i visit as a reward for taking my precious time to write this. This post pose as an evidence. You cannot run and you cannot hide. Bye bye and ya, i like soya milk too, one carton for me when i come visit you. You are lucky coz i still dunno when i can visit you. Bye

crushedguava said...

hoho ok one unagi don set and one carton of soya milk when you visit.

set.

;p

changyang1230 said...

*drool*