Monday, July 2, 2007

Last Monday I finally got the chance to go to Murni in SS2. For some obscure reason, its a mamak store, but more famous for its wide variety of food that you don't normally get in your usual mamak stalls.

And the place is so good that it hasn't bothered repairing its signboard for 2 years already - the lights are not working, so if you're looking for a sign saying 'Murni' at night, you would not find it.

People don't come here for your usual teh tarik. They come for the drink 'Specials'.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Serving the drinks in jars is a masterstroke by the restaurant. Shows that the drinks are, indeed, 'special'. Chock-full with goodness, its lychees, pieces of watermelon (regardless of whatever flavour you order, you'd still get watermelon pieces), and nata de cocos, plus the sheer quantity of the drink, is sure to make your trip worthwhile even if its the only thing you order.

And then we come to the food. Like I said, it has a wide variety of food, from your usual mamak fare of rotis and nasi lemak, to stuff you won't normally get in these kind of restaurants, e.g. western fare like steak, chops, and pasta.

But then again, they even have the usual mamak fare, but with twists.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This is filled with stuff like sausages and pineapples and minced meat, in accordance to the Hawaiian theme I guess.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
If this costs the same amount in Melbourne as it does in Malaysia (after converting), I'd eat it everyday. Not because its very good, but because it fills me up. And I'd be very satisfied. Haha.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This is usual. But eating the naan with condensed milk gives it an added dimension that you wouldn't get with your normal curries.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
And the bomb. Usually a chinese dish, but they serve it here as well. And I love the idea of the egg in the middle.

Unfortunately, once I return to Melbourne, I'd not get to eat this anymore.

:(

2 comments:

Voon Seng said...

yeah... it was great. I had the nasi lemak, with a huge piece of roasted chicken, and stole some cheese naan from my bro last time i was there. Damn, it was almost a year already... My bro said Murni's taukeh has a brother and also another special mamak place too, forgot the name of it, but it's pretty good too.

crushedguava said...

this is actually only my 2nd time there leh.

very sad.

no time to go again.

:(