Monday, January 25, 2010

Squid balls and seaweed hor fun

I met up with my friends in Causeway Bay 2 weekends ago, and had dinner at this stall that was famous for their hor fun with squid balls and seaweed. I don’t have a picture of the shop, and I also don’t know the name of the shop.

There were actually a lot of other options up on the wall, but everything was written in chinese, and although they had pictures I had no idea what they were. All 6 of my friends ordered this so I ordered this as well (I’m not usually a fan of hor fun soup).

It looks pretty bland, and actually tasted pretty bland (even the soup; I expected the soup to have more taste, but it was actually quite tasteless) that I was looking for soy sauce to go with it (there was no soy sauce available, only vinegar, chilli oil, and sesame oil).

And then I dug around in the bowl a bit and found that there was quite a lot of seaweed in it.

Eaten with the seaweed, the noodles tasted way better. I guess it was probably intended to be this way though. Also, the squid balls tasted very fresh as well. Much better than the squid balls that I buy from the Asian grocery in Melbourne.

I didn’t like it very much, but I would actually go back again if given the chance (probably not though).

I don’t think I appreciated it enough the first time round, and a second go would probably do it more justice.

No comments: